Thursday, May 15, 2014

2014 Upfronts: The CW

This post is going up almost a day later than The CW announced its schedule, which I could say is a sign of just how "eh" the entire CW portion of the Upfronts often seems. This is sort of unfair, because there's some really good shows on The CW. But it seems kind of strange that what is basically a cable network disguising itself as a broadcast network has a big, overblown, network-level "Upfronts" presentation. Although, actually, The CW had a pretty good year, finally regaining an identity after spending years seeming a little lost. The CW started off in pretty messy fashion, as a mish-mosh as the equally struggling but stylistically very different WB and UPN networks. Then, when The CW finally found an audience (young girls watching teen soap operas!), ABC Family came and snatched it from them, leaving them lost yet again. But after Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural became the networks' 3 biggest hits, the network made an effort to go for genre programming, which has resulted in the show becoming both a more interesting network and a more successful one, with a seemingly sustainable identity. They're still far below the level of the "main" networks, but well...they always will be. Still, they've managed to carve out a pretty solid niche for themselves. So good for them! Now let's talk about Jane the Virgin.

Jane the Virgin


This is, like, the #1 reason why I wanted to do a CW post. THIS IS A SHOW ABOUT SOMEONE GETTING ACCIDENTALLY ARTIFICIALLY INSEMINATED, GUYS. And a (GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) virgin!!!! This is a REAL SHOW that is happening. It's not a fake show on 30 Rock or Community. It's fucking real!!!!!! I'm sorry, I'm just....I need a minute.


The Flash

Okay, phew. Just as I was starting to doubt both television and life itself, The Flash reminds me that TV can actually be a positive thing capable of providing shit that doesn't make me want to crawl into an Arby's and die. Actually, this looks really good, and I'm not much of a superhero guy. But I might actually have to give this a shot. I've heard great things, and this trailer was pretty fucking awesome.


Um...apparently that's it. I guess The CW felt we needed time to recover from fucking JANE THE VIRGIN.

Anyway, that does it for Upfronts! Now we just have to wait and see which one of these shows is worth watching, and when it'll be inevitably cancelled! (Just kidding. I bet a few of them will be good and some might even make it to a second season! Honest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment