Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Work hard or die tryin', girl (or, another Bob's Burgers appreciation post)

Bob's Burgers returned to our television sets this past Sunday, and while I've already written substantially about what a unique and beautiful gem of a show it is, I thought I would briefly talk about its premiere, which was, in many ways, a showcase of everything the show does best. While the episode had some minor structural weirdness that kept it from being among the shows' all-time best, it still managed to be the bravest and liveliest premiere it's put on thus far, managing to be both a ridiculous extravaganza full of the absurdist showtunes that have become a hallmark of the show and one of the most compelling Gene-centric stories the show has done so far. The actual staging of the musical, which features the appearance of nearly every student of Wagstaff School that we've met so far getting together to put on a ridiculous mash-up of Die Hard and Working Girl, combines two of my all-time favorite things - ensemble pieces and ridiculous song lyrics - to make one of the best TV moments of the year so far. No, there is nothing substantial in this post. I just needed to restate how much I love Bob's Burgers. I love it so much, you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment